Monday, June 10, 2013

Mardi gras rice

When I first moved to the Big Easy my favorite culinary discovery was jambalaya.  "It's like Cajun fried rice!" I exclaimed.  After many attempts to make my own jambalaya, without the box,  I've created this recipe.  Not quite the traditional jambalaya that us New Orleanians are used to but delicious none the less.  
Mardis gras rice
2 green peppers diced
1 purple onion diced
4 smaller carrots diced
4 cloves garlic minced
3 creole tomatoes crushed
2 cups cooked rice
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp soy sauce
Shredded chicken (optional)

Heat cooking oil in large pan.  Once oil is hot add all the chopped veggies besides the tomatoes.  Sauté until cooked through, about 10 minutes.

It's mardi gras in a pan!

Once veggies are cooked add in crushed tomatoes and salt and let ingredients simmer together, about 5 minutes.

Add in rice, soy, and chicken if using,stir well.  Add salt to taste, and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment